Thursday, July 08, 2010

Antigua

After watching a morning soccer game of Holland we took a chicken bus to Antigua. We stayed at the Jungle Retreat, which gave us free breakfasts. It took us 3 transfers on the chicken buses to finally arrive later afternoon in Antigua. The most popular city for Westerners to live, retreat, and retire in Guatemala. You could feel the wealth of the foreingers here. Everything was clean. Police roamed the streets to keep the tourists safe.

Ben and I decided to do different things on Sunday. I took a bus to ChiChicastinango which in known for there enormous market. Ben went to Pacaya.


I had a enjoyable day in ChiChi. I got a purse, and a face mask for a steal. The lady was upset at me for getting the mask for such a low price she would give me a bag to put it in. I bought tamales, and a delicious smoothie made from mango and a few other tropical fruits.





There was a really cool indoor produce market, a lot of people were in their traditional tribal dresses. I wandered around with a lady, June.




We walked up to a really cool cemetary.



Although in the afternoon a had a newly acquired infestation of scabies on my neck, creeping onto my face. It was the first time I couldn't stand the purtitis is caused. I cried. I took a shower and vigorously scrubbed my skin without the relief I sought after. When Ben returned we discussed our day. He was disappointed by the lack of lava and recommended me not to spend the money to see it.

Ben and I discovered some food stalls by a church that had papusa's, sweet corn drink, and sandwiches. It was probably the tastiest street food I'd eaten in Guatemala.



I left Ben, wandering in pain aimlessly. It was a bit of a miracle that I came upon the pharmacy I did. They had this cream meant to treat the itch mite, yep that is what I had. The soap wasn't doing the trick rather destroying my skin. After one application and a nights sleep, my face had no trace of the parasite.

I walked around the city in the morning. Weaving North & South, East & West. There were many churches, and cobble stone streets.



I came across a ghetto fair, with all kinds of run down rides, and 'fair food' I purchased some tacos, and a nasty chocolate covered apple. America has a way with food, making it all taste so delicious.

Ben and I hiked up the hillside of Antigua to a cross to get an overlook of Antigua.

Ben found a fantastic Pandeleria.

No comments:

Post a Comment