Thursday, July 08, 2010

Lanquin/Semuc Champey

We were convinced that taking the shuttle would be the best way to get to Lanquin. It was extremely overpriced but we thought it would be better than taking a bunch of chicken buses and potentially not make the entire journey. The bus company loaded us up comfortably until we stopped for a 'lunch break' at which time they joined two buses into one. We were crammed into this small shuttle van. I was freaking out, I was so paranoid about having people touch me...scabies spreads so easy. The ride was so uncomfortable for me trying to avoid brushing against anyone or anything. We had 20 something of us on this bus.

Upon our arrival to Lanquin we made it just in time for Pizza and a Laker's game projected onto a sheet. The atmosphere of this place was cool but the noise never died thus inhibiting sleep unless your room was at the front of the property. It was an open air bar/entertainment patio scattered with various coaches, chairs, tables, bar stools and a stray cat or two. It had a beautiful view of the river below.
I took a walk down there in the beginning for the purpose of using my soap. It is apparently Dry Season here and wet everywhere else or so we were told. So conveniently for them they didn't have enough running water for showers. Torture for me. I tried to be discrete about washing my arms, legs, neck, hands several times a day.

The next we took a tour to Semuc Champey and cave system. To start of we had a truck ride to the river which had a rope swing. Ben was doing his own thing, and had a few hard slaps on the water. The rope swing was nice but I declined the invitation to jump the bridge.

Our guide gave us all candles, which was our light in the cave. I never realized the difficulty of swimming with a candle in one hand until now. Never had the opportunity before. We climbed around in the cave, up a small waterfall, and had a dimly lit spot in which we could jump off the rocks into the water.

After this cave tour we hiked up to a scenic overlook of Semuc Champey. Reminded me slightly of Plitvice in Croatia but small in comparison. Pools and falls of turquoise water. The interesting part of Semuc is the river system. I will attempt to successful explain it. The river has carved out a tunnel through the rock. It is incredibly dangerous and if you fell in and went through the 500 meter of tunnel you would come out months later in pieces. The river flows below and above ground. We swan above the tunnel in pools of water, while directly below us was life-threatening raging waters.




That evening we went to Grutas de Lanquin. A cute, petite Indian girl, Pria, got a local guy who was our tour leader to take her to the cave. We hitched a ride, and got a free tour minus the entrance fee of the cave.

I didn't believe it until I saw it. Bats in thousands exiting the cave at dusk. We were inside the cave to begin with. I could see fleeing shadows vanishing at the blink of an eye. I felt wet drops on my body, the guide said 'Oh don't worry. It isn't guano, but bat pee.' Nice. That was enough for me. I saw the bats and made an exit. I didn't need to view them for an extended amount of time. I left my camera back at the hostel for safety purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment